Breast Cancer Tokens...


My friend Cheryl, gave a jewelry making class at her local Breast Cancer Coalition to those living with cancer and cancer survivors. When she put out a call for anyone of her friends to send along a small gift for the participants. I knew that I wanted to make something, but I wasn't sure what...I pondered and remembered that when I was dealing with my own illness I use to carry with me a smooth shell that my father use to carry in his pocket...He called it his worry stone, and you could feel the indentation where he rubbed his thumb over and over it (as he went through his own radiation treatments) After his passing we found these worry stones everywhere, and my sister and I both took one. Months later when I was going through my surgeries my stone was with me...I kept it in my bathrobe pocket, my pant pocket, my jacket pocket! So with that in mind I wanted to make tokens that these loving souls could have to keep for them self. A token that was small enough to carry concealed in their pocket but big enough to carry the love, faith, belief,and hope that was sealed into each and every one! This was a project that brought back many thoughts for me, but most of all it brought back the idea that we as women MUST reach out in whatever way we can to help other women when they most need it! So with that being said, see where it is that your heart directs you...volunteer your skill, your art, your time to something that calls to you...It will do your heart good!!
Artfully Yours,
Pattie

1 comment:

Cheryl Finley said...

Pattie,
This is beautiful...thank you for sharing this story about your dad...and you. And thanks for the call out to share our art, skills and passions to help east the pain..and raise the joy factor of others. That is why I do my work with the breast cancer patients; and I thank you for creating these beautiful tokens of love and compassion. They were very appreciative, and so am I.